|Main||Profiles||Fun Facts||Fan Culture||Music||Books|
Kaguya Houraisan was once a princess of the Lunarians, a race of people living on the Moon. She was exiled to Earth over a thousand years ago for the crime of using the forbidden Hourai Elixir to make herself immortal. Arriving on Earth one day, she was found by a bamboo cutter and dwelt among the humans she had once despised. Though the other Lunarians looked upon humans with contempt, Kaguya came to love her new home. Tales of her unearthly beauty led men from all across the land to seek her hand in marriage, Fujiwara no Mokou's father being one of them, but none could successfully complete her trial of the Five Impossible Requests.
The first was to bring her the stone begging bowl of the Buddha from India. The second was to retrieve a jewelled branch from the island of Mount Hourai. The third was to seek the legendary robe of the fire-rat of China. The fourth was to retrieve a colored jewel from a dragon's neck. The final task was to find the legendary Cowry treasure of the swallows. These potent treasures were eventually revealed to already be in Kaguya's possession in the final stage of Imperishable Night.
After years of exile, powerful emissaries arrived from the Moon; Kaguya had been forgiven of her crime and it had been decided that she should return. Kaguya, however, had grown to love life on Earth and had no desire to return to the lunar capital permanently. Enlisting the help of her friend Eirin, Kaguya escaped from the emissaries and fled to Gensokyo. Taking refuge in an ancient manor called Eientei hidden deep within a secluded bamboo forest, the two Lunarians began a new exile. After several centuries of isolation, she was eventually reunited with Mokou, who had also used the Hourai Elixir to become immortal, and the two continued their feud, murdering each other on a nearly daily basis.
She now spends her days living in Eientei in a carefree manner, sometimes holding exhibitions of Lunarian treasures there for the rest of Gensokyo to admire. Her long isolation has made her lonely, and she enjoys telling stories to any guests she might receive.
During the events of Imperishable Night, Kaguya had been hidden in a secret pathway along with the true moon by Eirin to ensure any Lunarians sent to recover Reisen would not discover her. The heroines of Imperishable Night, however, did discover her, and challenged her to return the full moon to Gensokyo. After being defeated, Kaguya unleashed her powers of eternity in an all-out bid to break the spell of the imperishable night cast by the heroines. Finally she relented and the true moon was recovered.
Upon drinking the Hōrai Elixir, Kaguya's mind, soul, spirit, body and very existence were permanently altered, granting her the following abilities.
- Perfect Immortality: The soul is made eternal and invincible, forcing her to live out her existence forever. Immortality unties the soul from the physical body, which is just recreated as necessary, although she still retains bodily sensations and functions. In this sense she is separated from the cycle of life and death, rendering her existence to be completely independent from the concepts of reality, space-time, fate, etc. granting her complete and perfect immortality. The effect is irreversible and cannot be copied or interfered with, she will always be restored to pinnacle condition.
- Eternal Youth & Health: Hōrai Elixir transformed her to pinnacle youth and health, she is incapable of aging, decaying, rotting, etc. She will never become ill, has no imperfections, possesses a perfect physiology and will never be able to die.
- Flawless Healing/Restoration: Heal all mental, conceptual, emotional, spiritual, mystical, physical, any/all damage to flawless/perfect/pristine state. Every injury shall cease; critical injuries will be healed in a matter of days. Complete destruction results in complete restoration.
- Clear Mind: She is capable of experiencing emotions regardless of her age, but those feelings do not play a prominent role in her thought processes. Her mental performance allows her mind to operate in the most efficient and rapid manner possible. Brain waves are always calm, akin to a zen monk. She is completely free from and immune to anxiety, concern, trouble or worries of any kind. She is perpetually content and immune to mental illness, etc. Hence why she can live a quiet, carefree life in the forest in perpetuity with soundness of mind.
- Eternal Memory: Her mind has unlimited storage and analytical capacity; able to instantly recall and cross-correlate any information stored with perfect clarity.
- Immunity : Is immune to all elements and elemental forces, being completely invulnerable to direct and indirect effects. Seem to be a mechanism that prevents immediate death after revival, in a sense it allows her to be safe and functional any environment.
- Stagnation: She can cause anything that she targets to become unchanging and doesn't progress or regress.